JOB TITLE – Senior Control System Architect
DEPARTMENT – Global Technical Innovations Group (GTIG)
WORKING HOURS – Monday – Friday, 0830 - 1630
GLS LEVEL – P3
What we do every day feels pretty amazing – we help improve the way people see each day. It’s about more than making contact lenses, it’s about giving lens wearers freedom and confidence. And everybody has a part to play in making this happen – everybody’s contribution counts, whatever their role or experience. Which is why at CooperVision, you’ll feel empowered, trusted and supported in everything you do.
What will you be doing:The Senior Controls System Architect will be responsible for the design, implementation, documentation, and validation of complex, integrated control systems within a highly automated manufacturing environment, ensuring the European Manufacturing Organisation (EMO) are up to date with the latest technology. The successful candidate will also be supporting large capital and improvement projects to existing manufacturing lines, driving cost reduction and reliability through standardisation across multiple platforms and systems. A senior systems architect will lead the integration of business systems from control layer through to manufacturing execution systems.
Essential Functions & Accountabilities:
- Responsible for the design, implementation, documentation, and validation of supervisory and higher-level systems
- Working closely with other technical teams within the business as an SME for supervisory systems and database design.
- Lead medium to large capital projects in delivery of the performance monitoring, supervisory systems into the business, responsible to financial aspects of the projects through capital request to delivery
- Lead technical teams in the delivery of large capital projects to the business across EMO, maintaining responsibility for the architecture design of the supervisory systems
- Working closely with business unit and technical managers to define requirements for new systems delivered into the business
- Will be responsible for documentation high level systems, ensuring regulatory requirements are met
- Working with other technical teams and external vendors to drive the design, integration and implementation of performance monitoring software including OEE, dashboards.
- Will be responsible for delivery of key elements of Industry 4.0 technologies across the business, adopting the lead role in data delivery to internal and external systems
- Responsible for the future Integration of controls system into business systems, including manufacturing execution systems and ERP
- Management of external vendors, working within regulatory guidelines.
- Support and optimise existing control systems.
- Will be responsible in defining strategies for future development of systems, defining standardisation and delivery of new technology
- Design, implement and conduct training programmes for applicable support groups.
- Develop and mentor trainees and other less experienced engineers within the department
- Assist other Engineering departments across the European manufacturing organisation as an SME for control system architecture.
What skills and experience should you have?Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High level of expertise, knowledge and a proven track record in the design, development and support of relational database systems (MSSQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Proficient in test driven development, unit testing & functional testing practices and tools
- Control systems architecture (Client-Server) design experience
- Understanding of Cloud based architectures, such as Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform.
- Understanding of Control Systems packages which include (but not limited to) Studio 5000, FT Transaction Manager, FT View SE and network distributed application architectures
- Experience working within manufacturing domain – understanding typical OT and IT components of manufacturing operations, their architectures, and data structures MES, PLC, SCADA, HMI, Asset Management, etc
- To understand, and preferably have experience within a control systems application development context, with one or more of the following programming languages: Python, C++, C#, VBA
- Experience with Network Architecture Design, functional knowledge of industrial communication protocols, including two or more of the following: ControlNet, DeviceNet, OPC, and EtherNet/IP
- Practical experience using virtualisation and containerisation technologies, such as one or more of the following: VMWare ESXi, vSAN, vCenter, and Docker
- Experience with the PTC ThingWorx technology stack. ThingWorx Fundamentals/Professional certification a plus
- Relevant qualifications and certifications, such as VMware VCP, Cisco CCNA, MCSA/MCSE or equivalent would be advantageous
- Experience of working on projects with large, multi-disciplined, global teams
- Excellent communication skills
- A strong focus on documentation and regulations
- Enthusiasm towards the controls/software engineering fields and its principles
- The following behavioural competencies: Planning and Organization, Positive Attitude, Problem Solving, Innovation and Quality/Continuous Improvement and Change Orientation
- Strong preference for a medical device or pharmaceutical background in manufacturing
- Ability to keep abreast of new developments within the automation industry
- Good understanding of Quality Assurance and Quality Control systems, medical device/pharmaceutical, FDA, GAMP, ISO and International regulatory requirements
- Ideally a minimum 5 years proven track record in a similar engineering or computer science role
- Minimum of degree qualified or equivalent training and experience in Electrical/Electronics, Computer Science or related engineering field
- Professional Institute Member level or equivalent
What we offerYou’ll receive competitive compensation and a fantastic benefits package including; 25 days holiday, pension scheme, healthcare cover, life assurance, a discounted contact lens scheme and much more!
You’ll benefit from extensive training opportunities and personal development. Gain insights and inspiration from collaborating with teams all over the globe. You’ll be joining a friendly team that’s open, flexible and respectful of each other’s differences. We understand that different perspectives bring fresh and unique insights to the mix.
If you like what you see, take the first step towards your brighter future and apply today. All suitably qualified applicants will receive equal consideration and opportunities from CooperVision.
Primary Location:United Kingdom-Hampshire-Hamble
Organization:CVI Global Manufacturing Operations