Posting Date Jun 22, 2022
Job Number 22098768
Job Category Sales & Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
|Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?|
The Director, Business Transformation Office (BTO) - Strategy & Program Management (Commerce) is responsible for driving the planning and execution of the Commerce workstreams for the Marriott Growth Platform (MGP) program. Specific focus will be on Payments, Order Orchestration, F&B capabilities and other sub-tracks of Commerce. This position will be part of the Business Transformation Office (BTO) team that was stood up to transform Marriott’s technology and business process ecosystem, enabling Marriott to deliver on our vision to become the world’s favorite travel company. The BTO has been established to enable and accelerate MGP through unique approaches to strategic planning, program management, change management, experience and business process design, continent coordination, and deployment. This role, as part of the BTO, will contribute to building upon our existing expertise and creating the structures and capabilities we need to coordinate the moving parts that make up MGP. This role will partner closely with the leads in Commerce, Change Management, Communications, Deployment, and external consulting leaders throughout the project. Success in this role requires strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail, comfort with ambiguity, a proven ability to manage multiple work efforts at the same time, as well as a willingness to be tested on difficult and time-sensitive requests.
Responsibilities will include:
- In partnership with Commerce and BTO leadership, provide strategy, coordination, and execution support for the Commerce workstreams of MGP, specifically: Above Property Payments, Order Orchestration and F&B capabilities
- Support the Senior Director, Business Transformation Office – Strategy & Program Management (Commerce) to manage key connection points and interdependencies between Commerce and other MGP workstreams including Hotel Operations, Loyalty, Change Management, Finance and Technical Architecture
- , e.g. Integrated Project Plans, Risk Management and Contingency Plans, etc.
- Coordinate and partner with third party vendors to ensure milestones are met, deliverables are of high quality, and program remains on budget
- Design and facilitate Commerce-specific and cross-discipline forums and processes to engage senior leaders and gain buy-in on critical business decisions
- Stakeholder management and coordination to ensure Commerce perspectives are incorporated into other MGP workstreams’ decision making
- Track and manage resource and budget requests for the Commerce workstreams
- Provide Commerce inputs and support to execute against MGP Change Strategy, Communications and Training Plans
- Support the Senior Director, Business Transformation Office – Program Management (Commerce) with Strategic Project Management of MGP’s Commerce workstream, with primary areas of focus including:
- Strategic Project Management:
- Provide coordination of week-to-week progress of the program – including (but not limited to) status reporting and aggregate timelines
- Aggregates weekly reporting across global technology and business workstreams and support providers
- Provides recurring and ad-hoc consolidated views and surfaces key insights for executive decision making across key forums
- Support ad-hoc needs for MGP program team and Commerce workstream – including defining strategies, coordinating planning and execution, defining processes for the program and for the future business
- Support development of project plans within Commerce and across MGP workstreams
- Plan and propose strategic direction, goals, and approaches across stakeholders
- Develop and manage Commerce processes for monitoring issues, prioritizing resolution
- Partner with the workstream leads to help shape change + implementation strategies for the impacted stakeholder groups
- Provide processes and communications that create accountability with project team and drive results
- Facilitation Support
- Facilitate and prepare content for Commerce, MGP, and BTO leadership forums
- Assist in the design of facilitation methodologies and coordination of logistics/materials for a variety of executive forums
- Support ad-hoc track level (and cross-track) workshops to tackle Commerce risks, issues, and strategy alignment
- Coordinate Commerce contributions into central program deliverables (i.e. Risk Management, Contingency Planning, Change Control)
- Manage Commerce risks in alignment with the MGP Program Risk Management Framework and Management Plan
- Support identification of risks, development of mitigation strategies, and escalation at designated forums
- Guide cross-program contingency planning to identify alternate business and technology approaches as required
- Implement Change Control processes for Commerce workstream in alignment with MGP Change Control Plan, leading the assessment and management of changes in scope, major assumptions, costs, delivery timeline, etc.
- Support Commerce’s Governance and role in overall MGP Program Governance
- Establish and apply decision making rights within the Commerce track
- Develop and maintain Commerce’s governance strategy (forums, objectives, audience, escalation paths, etc.)
- Support leadership decision-making across MGP tracks
- Develop presentations for executive forums, including MGP Program Steering Committee, Commerce Steering Committee, and contributions to Hotel Operations, Digital, and Loyalty Steering Committees, Board of Directors, Corporate Growth Committee and Global Operators Committee meetings
CANDIDATE PROFILEEducation and Experience Required
- 4-year degree or equivalent from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hospitality Management, Technology or related major or equivalent experience is required.
- Six or more years of work experience in hotel, consulting, or business analytics, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
- Proven track record consulting to business leaders and designing, developing, and implementing high impact solutions in large, complex organizations, using a variety of delivery methodologies
- Demonstrated experience in working with and influencing cross-functional work teams in a matrix organization
- Project management experience on technology engagements and passion for IT / technology
- Prior experience working with Digital, IT, Data, Loyalty and/or Customer Experience programs
- Hospitality/Lodging industry experience a plus
- MBA and/or prior consulting experience preferred
CORE WORK ACTIVITIESProject and Strategy Leadership
- Collaborate with cross-functional working teams comprised of senior discipline experts from Digital, Enterprise Products (IT), Hotel Operations, Loyalty, Distribution, Customer Engagement Centers, Customer Experience, Finance, and other departments within Consumer Operations to:
- Plan and implement identified initiatives with minimal oversight
- Partner with cross discipline teams and leaders to meet project objectives and goals on time and on budget
- Support transformational projects working across functions and disciplines to meet objectives
- Guide on-going financial and business analysis support to leadership to support strategic decision making using the appropriate approaches, systems, and resources
- Deliver presentations related to the strategic roadmap development, project execution and management to senior management and other key stakeholders (e.g., owners, associates, customers)
- Actively engage internal partners (e.g., Change Management and Communications, Human Resources, Training) to prepare content for communication materials as needed for deployment of initiatives
- Create standard templates to optimize effectiveness of program, including decks, webinars, RAID logs, tasks lists, status reports, and escalation flows
- Build effective relationships with all internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure decision-making that balances the needs of the various stakeholder groups and promotes the long-term viability of the business
- Leads initiatives on behalf of the Consumer Operations executive and their teams to drive change across the organization. Acts as a project leader and day-to-day project decision maker with the following responsibilities:
- Accountable for delivering the results of the project
- Provide content guidance to the project
- Participate in review cycles at key milestones & provide go/no-go decision
- Actively participate in strategy sessions
- Contribute to strategy development
- Ensure appropriate sponsorship and resourcing
- Establish key milestones and approval roles
- Ensure timely delivery against milestones
- Develop actionable recommendations and responses to program needs to optimize performance and drive growth and profitability.
- Identify emerging business opportunities and risks to determine strategic implications, provide feedback to key stakeholders and take a leadership role in the decision-making process.
- Adaptability – Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication – Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively acts and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of discipline-specific systems, tools, and business practices.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension – Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved. Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.