Redwood City Office
PurposeBox powers enterprises to collaborate and build workflows around their most critical business processes. Our customers rely on us to provide the most stable, reliable and high performing systems to accomplish these processes. At Box, we take this responsibility very seriously and build software engineering teams that are focused on delivering a consistent and highly reliable experience for our customers.
The main focus of the Observability Team is to build frameworks and systems that can manage the performance of Box systems while scaling to billions of events per second. Additionally, we are responsible to standardize observability across engineering teams, drive designs for high performing services and foster great observability practices. We build, scale, and operate low-latency, high-throughput data systems that power high resiliency of Box Systems. You will help us execute on this vision and ensure that Box continues to ship scalable services that can hold against the high-performance expectation from our customers.
We are looking for big thinkers and innovators who have experience working with scalable distributed systems and have a passion for high performance and reliability. We are a small team with big ambitions that values impact and is not afraid of huge, gnarly problems. If this excites you, come join us!
Why the team needs youReliability and great customer experience is a constant focus at Box and this creates a continued set of requirements for observability of complex systems. We need your expertise with monitoring technologies like logging, metrics, search, analytics and tracing to build impactful instrumentation and efficient data pipelines for application performance management at Box. We hope you can contribute best practices for monitoring at scale and use them to strengthen the observability strategy and culture at Box.
Why Box needs youBox is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. We are undergoing a massive change in how we run our services and need to build an observability platform to help guide our way. That's where you come in.
Why you need BoxYou're going to have the unique opportunity to architect, build and design diagnosis and monitoring systems at scale. You will get to work with cutting-edge data and analytics technologies while having great visibility and impact across all of Engineering.
Who You Are
- You have experience architecting and building application performance management systems
- You have a fair understanding of technologies like Elasticsearch, Storm or other DAG technologies, and Kafka.
- You have built distributed, high-throughput and low-latency systems with a strong focus on availability, resilience, and durability.
- You are passionate about solving hard problems using data-driven solutions
- You act like an owner and strive to do work you're proud of, both technically and in your team interactions
- You are able to inspire other people to work with you, and you enjoy mentoring and coaching more junior engineers
- You have some experience with logging, tracing, analytics, search, metrics
- You have experience with at least one of the core programming languages like Java, Scala, Go etc.
- You have 8+ years of experience in building scalable distributed systems
- You have a BS/MS/ Ph.D. in a scientific field or equivalent experience
About Box Founded in 2005, Box (NYSE BOX) is transforming the way people and organizations work so they can achieve their greatest ambitions. As the world's leading enterprise software platform for secure content collaboration, Box helps businesses of all sizes in every industry securely access and manage their critical information in the cloud. Box is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with offices across the United States, Europe, and Asia. To learn more about Box, visit www.box.com.