Job ID 8978Location Waltham, MassachusettsOrganization StrategyDepartment US STRATEGY
About usEvery day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Senior Analyst for our US Market Fundamentals Team in Waltham, MA.
Job PurposeThe Senior Analystwill provide insight and expert analysis of the US energy markets. The role holder will perform electricity market model runs to support business development, strategic decision making, and risk appraisals associated with clean and renewable power projects. As part of a matrix team, the role holder will be responsible for developing in-depth insights, market knowledge, and key assumptions around specified regions and topics. This role holder will also be responsible for maintaining team best practices and modeling infrastructure.
- Conduct modeling & analysis of US electricity markets to support investment decisions, business planning, strategic planning & new business opportunities;
- Manage, maintain & continuously improve in-house US electricity market models ensuring they are fit for purpose, fully documented & calibrated;
- Articulate & explain market model inputs/outputs to stakeholders as we support Group Strategy, M&A, Business Development, Corporate Affairs & Commercial Operations with ad hoc market analysis, modeling & assessments of market impacts;
- Contribute to the development & maintenance of proprietary long-term power market scenarios.
- Collaborate within the Market Fundamentals Team to monitor market developments and provide analysis of critical changes in the markets.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in relevant discipline, high level of quantitative & analytical skills with 1-5 yrs work exp.;
- Advanced Excel skills, and Python, VBA, SQL, or other programming skills;
- Familiarity with linear algebra, linear programming & optimization theory;
- Broad knowledge of US power industry structures, policies, regulations & market fundamentals;
- Familiarity with recent trends in conventional generation, renewables, gas, energy storage, transmission & distributed generation;
- Ability to translate model outputs into business insight & articulate impact of results on the business;
- Experience in developing & employing market and/or financial models, as well as with commercial production cost modeling software: PLEXOS, Aurora, Gridview, ProMOD, GE MAPS, PSO, Dayzer, etc.
More InformationThis position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.