San Diego - CA, US
Do you want to work on cutting edge technology that you cannot get anywhere else?ASML is hands-down the industry leader in EUV.As an Optical Engineer, you employ your technical skills to keep us ahead of the curve and ahead of potential future competitors.Simply put, our opportunity is unparalleled!
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA (EUV laser source creation).
As the world’s leading semiconductor lithography machine (the machine that makes computer chips) manufacturer, ASML enables chip manufacturers to make cheaper, faster, chips, thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The machines we make require high speed, magnetically levitated stages with sub-nanometer accuracy, robotic mask delivery systems, mechatronic devices to shape and correct the laser illumination source, and optical modules that can detect sub-nanometer alignment errors and pattern distortions. Temperature controlled to milli-kelvins, particulate free, and operating in complete vacuum, the technical challenges are endless. Solving these requires expertise in servo controls, mechatronics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, embedded software engineering, optics, physics, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.One Company, One Goal, Limitless Innovation. It's our people that make the difference.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
As an Optical Engineer at ASML, you face new and exciting challenges each day!You will specify, design, develop and test optical systems using your device-level expertise.By tapping into your superior communication and interpersonal skills, you will interact with mechanical engineering, hardware, and software design teams to assist in overall development of the optical systems as you act as a primary technical interface for outsourced optical design projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assumes engineering responsibility for module or subsystem design from concept design through manufacturing transfer and ramp.
- Assumes engineering responsibility for optical component and subassembly test development, data acquisition, analysis, and reporting.
- Generates optical module or system concepts to meet product requirements.
- Validates concepts through breadboard builds and analysis.
- Performs detailed optical design, optical component layout, and ray tracing for new or improved optical subsystems.
- Performs wavefront measurements and wavefront analysis of optical subsystems and components.
- Performs optical tolerance analysis at system and subsystem level.
- Manages a project plan including key deliverables, timeline, and budget.
- Works with Mechanical Engineers and CAD Designers for prototype and pilot detailed design.
- Drives full documentation of design including, BOM, drawings, and procedures.
- Designs verification testing.
- Manages development activities using the Product Development Process including concept reviews, design reviews, proto builds, pilot builds, verification testing, etc., with records and completion of all open action items.
- Analyzes problems in existing systems, plan and conduct investigations, and develop solution proposals.
- Tasks include specifying, selecting and qualifying active and passive optical components, developing and benchmarking optical system performance models, developing and implementing test procedures, and evaluating and selecting appropriate test instrumentation.
- Coordinates all phases in the development of selected optical technologies, from inception through to product release.
- Develops test plans, creates test procedures, performs tests and data reduction and evaluates test data.Modifies designs based upon test results.
- Assembles and tests opto-mechanical and electro-optic prototypes.
- Interfaces with manufacturing engineering to develop and implement designs that improve manufacturability.
- Interfaces with purchasing to obtain prototype components for use in assemblies.
- Interfaces with manufacturing personnel to coordinate the build of modified or new prototype assemblies.
- Works with CAD personnel to create and/or modify component and assembly drawings.
- Uses change management process to implement demonstrated product improvements.
- May provide technical guidance and assistance to lower level optical engineers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires a Masters or Ph.D. in Optics Engineering, Chemistry or Physics.
- Our ideal candidate has some hands-on work experience (1-20+ years) within Optical or Opto-mechanical Design experience.
- Multiple positions are open across ASML California (San Diego & San Jose locations).
- Experience designing, specifying components for, and building experimental setups and prototype builds.
- Ability to conduct systematic experimental measurements with a solid understanding of metrology error analysis.
- Experience mounting optical components to minimize mechanically and thermally induced stress.FEA and modal analysis experience desired.
- Demonstrated creativity in solving complex optical design problems.
- In depth knowledge of optical engineering principles.
- Experience with ray tracing.
- Experience using Optical Design Software (Oslo, Zemax, Code 5, etc.).
- Experience with Product Development tasks desired (bills of material, interfacing with vendors, procurement of material for prototyping, change management).
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Ability to work either independently or as part of a development team.
- Self-motivation and ability to work in a fast-moving high-tech environment.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook & Powerpoint
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Experience with product development desired.
- Experience with Excimer Lasers desired.
We are committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our people and the business. EOE