Los Angeles, USA
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a main reason for the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side-by-side with game designers, narrative writers, and audio designers and engineers to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations and illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
As a Senior Technical Artist on the All Champs team, you will report to IP&C's Tech Art Director. You will blueprint and build the rig and facial system to be used for producing rig assets in the library. You will work with fellow Rigging Technical Artists across Riot to standardize and consolidate rigging systems, and establish the technical requirements for the model and rig to ensure consistency and optimized assets for the library shared with our teams across the company.
As part of the Technical Art, Rigging team, you will create rigs for characters and props. In addition to character rig generation you will oversee tool creation and maintenance for all other art disciplines. Working closely with animation, modeling and concept teams, you will uncover new ways to improve workflow and ensure functionality, consistency, and quality. As a support, you will be the carry behind the carry, helping hoist up art teams on the strength of your rigs and tools.
- Mentor and support your teammates in accomplishing team goals and help them grow as artists
- Work with fellow Riot rigging tech artists to identify and build optimal rig system for a variety of characters and assets using Maya and other internal tools
- Troubleshoot problems for animators and other artists to break through blockers and remove inefficiencies
- Refresh the performance of our rigs and animations by running them through your creative quality control process
- Partner and review work with vendors for creative projects requiring rig assets and asset sharing between internal Riot teams and external groups
- promote collaboration between art teams to level up content synergy and consistency
- Spread knowledge of the team’s processes and help teams expand their technical know-how
- Provide constructive feedback, direct next steps, and communicate clear goals and outcomes to your team
- Acting as an ambassador between art and engineering
- 7+ years of experience as a rigging technical artist in games or related industries
- Body and facial rigging experience
- Unreal engine: experience in Unreal and with engine cloth, hair, physics systems
- Expertise in content creation tools, particularly Maya
- Knowledge of figure and facial anatomy
- Proficient Python programmer
- Translating artistic requirements to sustainable workflow design
- Experience with motion capture pipelines
- Experience with facial capture and re-targeting for full performance capture
- Virtual production experience
As a part of the application process, you must provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test.
Our Perks:We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).