Niskayuna, New York, United States
Role Summary:As a Research Engineer - Power Electronics involved in the design of power converters, you will work in a collaborative team environment. You will be contributing to the development of advanced power conversion concepts as well as their implementation for application to power generation, aircraft engine systems, and electric and hybrid vehicle applications.
Essential Responsibilities:As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will contribute to the planning, development, and transition of technologies from concept to products and/or services for GE internal and external clients.
- Conduct power electronics research through modeling simulation, and design of power electronic circuits and controls
- Develop and test power converters using wide band gap semiconductor devices
- Participate with multidisciplinary teams in the development of new power technologies and capabilities for GE's next generation product platforms
- Innovate in the power electronics space
- Effectively communicate results by preparing written reports and making presentations that describe analyses and solutions
- Connect the organization to the latest technology developments and trends in industry
- Contribute to proposals for GE businesses as well as government agencies
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or a related field OR Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field with a minimum of 3 years of experience working in a research & development environment
- Experience developing power electronics and controls
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required; we will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
- Because of the specific categories of data handled by GE Research and the structure of our work environment, we are unable to accommodate employment of persons while they are considered nationals of embargoed countries subject to restriction under the US Export Administration Regulations (EAR), 15 CFR Section 746 et seq. (currently North Korea, Syria, Iran, Cuba, and Sudan). Please note that citizens of embargoed countries who have either “U.S. person” status under U.S. export control laws or subsequent citizenship from a non-embargoed country can be considered.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY
- Must be 18 years or older
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered
- Understanding of strategies and topologies that process AC and DC power
- Hands-on hardware experience in power circuits and systems
- Understanding of pulse width modulation strategies and associated controls
- Working knowledge types of power devices and associated gating strategies (SiC and GaN)
- Ability to design and implement passive components, select capacitor technologies towards EMI compliance
- Experience in circuit and system simulation tools such as Saber, PLECS, Matlab/Simulink, PSPICE, EMTP, etc.
- Familiarity with advanced real-time and embedded digital control with DSP and FPGA hardware, firmware and software
- Connections in industry and academia
- Record of publications and patents
- Demonstrated successful track record of completing tasks and deliverables on schedule and on budget
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including demonstrated formal writing and presentation experience
About Us:GE Research is GE's innovation engine where new ideas are originated, developed and productized to create a better world and deliver differentiated products across the company's industrial portfolio. These products span the aviation, power, transportation and health care sectors.
Today, we're a forward leaning, interdisciplinary organization, matching world-class innovation with market insights and industry connections to move faster and deliver better outcomes for GE’s businesses and customers.
We continue a strong track record in innovation and invention that began with our company's founder, Thomas Edison. GE scientists and engineers have distinguished themselves over time, amassing tens of thousands of patents, two Nobel prizes in chemistry and physics, and a list of inventions that have defined and redefined generation after generation.
This rich legacy of delivering transformative innovation is thriving now more than ever.
Discover how we’re seeing, moving and creating the future at https://www.ge.com/research/, meet our innovation giants at https://www.ge.com/research/people, search our open positions at http://twitter.com/geresearchjobs, and connect with us on our social channels at https://twitter.com/GEResearch and https://www.linkedin.com/company/geresearch/.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.