Role Summary:As a Senior Electric Power Systems Engineer you will contribute to the development of advanced electrical power & energy systems and components used primarily in utility applications. You will engage with and support several GE businesses including GE Power and GE Renewable Energy. You will also be encouraged to explore new applications which are tied with other GE Industrial businesses or revolutionary ideas which have not found a home in a GE business yet.
Essential Responsibilities:The Electric Power Systems team performs advanced, leading-edge research in a variety of electric power system areas. We focus on technology that enables more reliable and efficient power generation, transmission & distribution. Our major customers include GE Power, GE Renewable Energy, US Dept. of Energy, and the US Dept. of Defense.
Opportunities will exist to contribute to technology development in a wide-range of areas including the integration of renewable energy technologies such as wind and solar, WAMS, HVDC, distribution automation, power system protection, and microgrids. On many of these project collaborations are required within the internal organization by actively working on system related aspects with the electrical machines, power electronics, and electrical propulsion and energy storage teams.
As an Electric Power Systems Engineer you will:
- Participate in the development of new technologies and capabilities for GE's power generation, transmission, distribution and end-user product offerings by analyzing system requirements and needs to be translated into existing and new products.
- Develop electrical system requirements into projects related to power electronics, electrical machines, propulsion system, energy storage systems and etc.
- Join multi-disciplinary project teams and provide power system analysis expertise in areas such as real-time modeling, simulation, network modeling, system analysis, protection, transient stability analysis, grid codes, Smart Grid concepts, economic dispatch, HVDC/FACTS, and etc.
- Guide analytical work to define, meet or exceed customer entitlements.
- Participate in the development and identification of technology, product and service opportunities.
- Effectively communicate results by preparing written reports and making presentations describing analyses performed, solutions developed, and value obtained.
- Connect the organization to the latest technology developments and trends.
- Demonstrated awareness of competing and disruptive technologies.
- Contribute to proposals for GE businesses as well as government agencies.
- Doctorate Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 8 years of professional experience in electric power systems or related field OR Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 12 years of professional experience in electric power systems or related field.
- Demonstrated power system engineering experience in at least two of the following:
- Power system impact of renewable energy systems
- Network modeling
- Protection and stability
- Transmission or distribution system planning and optimization
- Impact of novel and intelligent devices on power systems (e.g. HVDC, FACTS, storage, electric vehicles etc.)
- System integration of electric power
- Control and communication technologies.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
- Detailed understanding of generator excitation and speed controls
- Experience with alternative energy and distributed generation, e.g. wind, PV, fuel cells, combined heat and power applications.
- Experience in control theory with a focus on control algorithms for power or energy systems.
- Familiarity with power systems analytical tools, such as SPSCAD/EMTP, PSLF, MAPS, etc.
- Global mindset & customer focus
- Entrepreneurial inclination
About Us:At GE Global Research, we’re redefining what’s possible. From cutting-edge research in molecular pathology for use in personalized cancer diagnostics to programs in coal gasification and renewable power that drive clean energy solutions, our work at Global Research is world-renowned. As part of our team, you’ll find yourself among nearly 3,000 scientists and engineers from every discipline in a dynamic atmosphere where you’ll be constantly challenged to learn and grow. You’ll have access to leaders on all levels of the organization and collaborate across the globe with the very best in the field. If you have an insatiable intellectual curiosity and the ability to articulate your vision, then join us and watch the work you do create the next generation of products and processes that will impact the globe for generations to come.
At GE Global Research we redefine what's possible, finding answers to some of the world's toughest problems. Find out more at http://www.ge.com/research or http://twitter.com/geresearchjobs, and connect with our technologists at http://www.edisonsdesk.com and http://twitter.com/GEresearch
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.